Thursday, April 7, 2016

Glasgow, Scotland: A Walk Around the City


"Eh don't go Glasgow, there's nothing to see there..." In and of itself, Glasgow is fine for shopping and skyscrapers with a dash of culture, but Edinburgh sets the bar too high! Still, since I had gone all the way to Scotland, I had to make a stop in the city. I didn't manage to cover much ground because it rained poured the day I visited.

There are maps around the city as like any other UK city. And the city is divided into districts like West End, City Centre, Merchant City... You have a good idea of how each district derived its name.

First stop was to Glasgow Cathedral with time spent taking refuge from the rain in the Cathedral and the bus stop outside.

  Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Glasgow

With the rest of the time spent wandering the city. 

Glasgow

Glasgow

I love how the produce is labelled - you know the grower's name and which county it came from. Buy local! 

Glasgow

Scotland's gourmet chips can be found in Singapore, but since I'm here, let's grab a bag. Bring your own shopping bag because some supermarkets don't provide free plastic bags.

Glasgow

Somehow the wandering led me to Merchant City with the Tolbooth Steeple as a landmark.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow
Glasgow

Then to The Barras for some thrift window-shopping.

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow

Glasgow is nice but a bit too commercial for me. A plus point is that you can do your shopping here.

Taking the bus from Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station) to Edinburgh (Edinburgh Bus Station) is cheap and regular - it starts from £1 and the journey takes about an hour.

If you arrive at the Buchanan Bus Station early, you can shop at the mall just across the road, but don't miss your bus! (I almost did)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

My Japan Itinerary (December 2012 and June 2016)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...